Set door/area password via API?

Hi all,
I just started with Gather API and Websockets and have to say this Community is amazing.
So many helpful examples, and I am looking forward to start developing.

I was wondering if there is an update on the API to set a new password on gather protected doors?
Or is there another way of making an area within a room only accessible by password and set this password via API ?

Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Patrick

1 Like

My guess is that is not on the roadmap for the near future.

Additionally, there are some design/UX issues with the general concept that I find frustratingly specific about the doors, locked private spaces, etc, that access via the API would not fix.

Honestly, it is just better to use the API to maintain your own style of location-gating, rather than hope that Gather is going to retro-fit an existing function to somehow work the way you expect.

This is not really a dig at the question or concept, more a concern about specific questions producing specific outcomes when broader questions would produce more applicable outcomes.

Hi Bill,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I totally get the point of what you are saying, and I agree.

When you talk about own “style of location-gating” and in relation to my problem, do you have an example for me of how protected access for an area could work? Besides pw doors?

I don’t really have an idea atm how this could look like.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

I don’t have a full code example at the moment, but pseudo-code-wise, it could be as simple as:

game.subscribeToEvent("playerMoves", ({playerMoves, context}) => {
if(player is located in an illegal spot) { teleport them out }
})

The trick is to make sure that you aren’t trying to do so many actions that you hit rate limit when there are a lot of users.

Thanks a lot, that helps!