Create a copy of space created by other user

Hello everyone! First of all, huge congrats for the platform, I find it really impressive! I’m here to ask about a functionality I haven’t found in the platform. Sorry in advance for my english.

As part of my master’s thesis on teaching (it is mandatory in our country to pass it to teach in secondary school), I built an Escape Room using Gather Town to improve mathematical communication capabilities among my students. Feel free to visit it if you like: Gather. Since it was very well received, we are planning to publish it, and we want to share a set of instructions for everyone to replicate (I will post the GitHub repo here in a while, when everything is ready).

The problem I have found when preparing the instructions is that I do not find a way to make a copy of an outsider space into my own spaces. It is easy to make a copy of an owned space, by creating a new space and using one of yours as a template, but I haven’t been able to do that with spaces I have visited but are not mine. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you in advance!

Short answer is no, there is no easy way to do this. The API offers some ways, but nothing transparent enough to describe quickly.

Longer answer is that there shouldn’t be a way to do what you described. If users were able to flat out copy any space they had visited, then the value of a space (ie the work that went into creating it, etc) would dissolve all at once. Many people pay a lot of money to have a space designed to their own specifications, or develop a space with specific capabilities, and having no way to protect against others copying them would be problematic.

That all said, being able to tag your own space as a “Public Template” or the like would be interesting. Or having a public marketplace where people could buy/tip/upvote templates. IDK. You still run into some IP issues if someone steals or misuses assets, but thats inherent to the platform anyway.

2 Likes

Oh, I see, thanks! Did not think about that necessity of protection. The idea of shareable templates is great, but I don’t think it will be available soon, seems complex to implement.

I’ll analyze how to reduce the replication burden as much as I can using the API. Thanks again!